Skip to main content
Hi everyone,

Welcome! I have never blogged before so this is all new for me; really looking forward to sharing the experience with each of you! A little about me before I dive right into promoting my community... because I mean, there are, seemingly, MANY more fun topics I could've chosen to blog about and promote. So, why my hometown? Well, I was born in Boaz, AL, just a couple minute drive South from Albertville, only because that's where the hospital is. We don't have one, so shout out to Marshall Medical Center South for helping bring me into the world 🙌 I lived in Albertville, where my parents were born and raised, until I was 3, then we started moving. First to Pell City where I went to Pre-K and K-5.

My dad, whose Degree was in Criminal Justice, then got on at the Federal Prison in Talladega. We moved to Anniston and I went to first and second grade at Golden Springs Elementary. During this time, he was in school pursuing his Master's Degree at JSU and my mom ended up taking a job at the University in the Continuing Education Department. We moved yet again; this time, to Wellington. I went to third grade at Kitty Stone and would walk with a group of older kids, whose mom also worked at the college, to JSU everyday after school and basically just give my mom hell and get into things until it was time for her to get off work everyday! With that being said, it's almost surreal that I'm in school here now all these years later! Funny how life works. Sidebar- I would've been in third grade in 1997. Mrs. Patsy Boozer was my teacher. Anybody at Kitty Stone during that year?! Probably not... pretty sure I'm much older than most of you, but if you had Mrs. Boozer or went to Kitty Stone at any time, raise your hand! Drop a comment below✋ 💁

Dad graduated summer after my third grade year and was transferred to a new Federal Prison in South Carolina. Of course, we moved, again. This time to Aiken, SC, the town I would grow up in and not leave until I was 18. I moved to Columbia, SC and went to college (the first time) at the University of South Carolina. This was smack dab during the recession (2008/2009), my mom was working as a real estate agent, my dad had just been medically retired from the Justice System after a terrible injury he sustained in 2006, and well... student loans paid for my tuition but they didn't pay my rent or living expenses. My parents had moved back to Alabama to be with sick parents (my grandparents) in their final years of life and I was 19 years old at the time, 7 hours from my family, working two jobs to pay my bills, and struggling to stay afloat in school. My parents always more than provided for my brothers and I, but this phase of life really hit them hard and they simply weren't in a position to support me while I was going to school. I ended up withdrawing from USC and moving back to Alabama, as well, in 2010, and I've been here ever since.

I can say being faced with that adversity was the BEST thing that could've ever happened to me. 

When I went to work for the City, something so special occurred. When you work for the public, especially a municipality, it's extremely difficult not to get involved in the community. Even if you're kicking and screaming not wanting to, like I was! lol! I reeeeally just wanted to work my 8 to 5 and go home everyday without extracurriculars, or so I thought, but yeah. That didn't work out! Before I knew it I was on four different boards and a volunteer manager of Albertville Farmers Market! Which, can I just say, has been SUCH a rewarding experience and I can't wait to blog about it in a future post, but for now, you get the picture. I wasn't excited about going from a normal 20 something year old who liked to have fun with friends and her boyfriend (now husband as of this past November 3rd😍) to someone who spent her free time working after work, for free. Haha! But... life happened and I started inadvertently coming in contact with so many people through these different service oriented organizations that would quickly realize a few minutes into conversation with me that they had known my parents their whole lives, or were friends with my grandparents, or went to church with me when I was a baby!

I would meet friends my age and introduce them to my parents and within seconds, my mom and dad could tell stories about growing up with their parents. Over time, I began to not be able to walk into my local bank or grocery store and not expect not to get caught up in 15 causal conversations before I could get out of any establishment because I would ALWAYS run into someone I knew. I discovered that those little things that we sometimes find annoying about "small town living" are what makes a place a home, and what makes having a hometown so special. Albertville quickly became mine. The only real one I've ever  actually known. For that reason, I am so proud of what I get to do as my "job". I have a position that allows me to directly help people, see the fruits of my labors, and impact my community for the better every single day.

I am so excited to share more with you all about my City, who we are, what I do everyday, and what "community" really is outside of just a town, an area, or a place on the map. To me, it's a way of life! A quality of life enhancer, actually. Thank you for reading, if anyone is still with me at this point... 👀 I promise, the rest of my blog posts won't be this long! Talk soon & Happy Blogging!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Ground Breaking" Project, Welcome Sand Mountain Park & Amphitheater to Albertville

Sand Mountain Park, Baseball Complex, Championship Field Something "BIG" is coming, something rather unprecedented for Marshall County, AL, much less, Albertville. Something of the magnitude of approximatley 133 acres, buildings of near 300,000 square feet, and more; but, we'll get back to that in a minute. For years, as a municipality, we've struggled to gain the attention we deserve from retailers and developers who have notoriously built just outside of our city limits, often times, in Guntersville, to draw from the lake, or previously, in Boaz, to be near the now decrepit Tanger Outlets. Albertville is three times the size of our neighboring cities ranging 26 square miles, with a population of nearly 30,000. When Wal-Mart, Belk, Lowe's, Staple's, Chik Fil A, Cracker Barrel, Publix, and a vast array of other retailers decided to locate outside of our city limits to the North and South of us, our friends in Boaz and Guntersville began "eating

Farm to Fork on Main

Albertville Farmers Market's fourth annual Farm to Table Dinner has officially been set for Thursday, September 5th, 2019, on Main Street! Tickets will go on sale mid summer, at Albertville Farmers Market, and online at cityofalbertville.com, via EventBrite. Stay tuned to the Farmers Market's social channels for an "on sale date" announcement! Pay close attention, as most years tickets are gone before most folks even hear they're on sale, and seating is limited to 150 people.  AHS ProStart Culinary Students  Farm to Table Dinner Setting If you've attended before, you know, the menu is ALWAYS a suprise and it gets better and better every single year! Featured chefs in the past have been Crystal McKone of Old Town Stock House and Jessica Hanners of Homecoming Cafe and Catering. Both previous chefs are known for their farm to fork menu concept, sourcing all of their ingredients locally, and helping cultivate sustainable farming in our community. The

Ten Years of Great Tunes and Counting... MSMF 2019 is Coming to Albertville in August!

Wow. Has it really been ten years? Even before I worked for the City of Albertville and coordinated Main Street Music Festival, I attended this event, loyally, for nine years. As in, I haven't missed one since it debuted in 2009! That's just part of living in Albertville, and luckily for us, now, part of living in Marshall County and the Southeast. MSMF is the largest free music festival in the Southern United States including in its activities a weekend of music from national recording artists, food, vendors, a vast variety of entertainment, including local talent, and all around family fun. This year, it celebrates its tenth year and comes to you August 2nd and 3rd! Bret Michaels Band, MSMF 2017  In 2016, we were named a Top Twenty Event to Attend by the Southeast Tourism Society, an exciting and prestigious designation that helped the festival gain attention from outside of our region and growing its audience size by large percentages. Last year's festival, featur